Mary’s Potato Salad
Growing up, several times a year, the whole family would come over to the house for a Sunday dinner. On the top of my moms request list was her famous Potato Salad. Everyone loved it so much, they hoped that she made extra to take home. I have continued this tradition on with my kids.
Let’s begin. You are asking yourself what makes this Potato Salad so special than any other you have found. Well the secret is in the way it is prepared.
First the main star, potatoes. You want to use a good potato with a high moisture content that will hold up to chopping and mixing such as Yukon Gold. Start by peeling and cutting into 1/4 inch pieces. Place the pieces in a large pot of water to boil until tender but still firm. Drain and cool.
The second star is the eggs. Hard boiled eggs really help make this recipe come together. Half of the eggs will go in the salad chopped and the other half will go on the top sliced to make it pretty.
Place the cooled potatoes and chopped eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add the celery (crispy), onions, relish, celery salt, 1/2 teaspoon of paprika and pepper. Mix gently not to breakup the potatoes.
Now here comes the SECRET. Use a double boiler, or add some water in a small saucepan. Bring water to a gentle simmer. Set a small heatproof bowl on the top. Add the mayonnaise, stir continuously until it becomes thinned. Add the mustard and sugar. Doing this step creates a well blended sauce that really makes the mixing of the ingredients easy. Pour the sauce over the prepared potato mixture and gently mix so the sauce gets well blended.
Next, take those sliced hard boiled eggs and place them on top. Sprinkle with a 1/2 tsp of paprika to decorate.
Immediately cover and place in the refrigerator to chill.
This recipe really holds dear to my heart and I am happy to finally share it for others to enjoy.
3 lbs of potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/4 pieces
5 Eggs, hard boiled
1/2 cup of crisp celery, sliced thin
1/4 cup of finely chopped onion
1/4 cup of sweet relish
1/8 teaspoon of celery salt
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon paprika divided
ground pepper to taste
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, drain and cool.
2. Place eggs in a saucepan with water and bring to a boil, cover, remove from heat and let eggs stand for 10-12 minutes. Remove from water and peel. Chop half of the eggs and slice the other half and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, chopped eggs, celery, onion, relish, celery salt, ¼ tsp paprika and pepper.
4. (Here is the secret) In a saucepan, bring water to a gentle simmer-not boil. Set a small heatproof bowl on the top with the mayo on low steady heat. Whisk continuously until it’s hot. Add the mustard and sugar. Mix until well blended.
5. Pour the sauce over the potatoes and other ingredients. Gently mix to cover with sauce.
6. Place the sliced eggs on top and sprinkle with ¼ tsp. paprika to decorate.
7. Immediately cover and place in refrigerator until well chilled.